Re: SQLState - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: SQLState
Date
Re: SQLState  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 22:07, Mahesh Swamy wrote:
> 1/ Is there a convention for creating sub-class codes.

The only convention I can see is that subclass values not defined by the
SQL specification begin with 'P'. (This ought to be documented; barring
any objections, I'll commit a patch stating this in errcodes.h
explicitly). Beyond that I don't know of any other conventions.

> 2/ If there is no convention is it ok to use the letter 'x' for all our
> State codes?

Why would you want to do that?

> 2/ If we have some States that might become common to the code in
> future releases, can we give them in as patches?

What's the value in keeping these the same? (If a client is already
looking for a specific error code, it doesn't seem too onerous for them
to need to look for two.)

-Neil