Re: Fwd: Re: [HACKERS] Running make check-world in buildfarm (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use SASLprep to normalize passwords for SCRAM authentication.) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: [HACKERS] Running make check-world in buildfarm (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use SASLprep to normalize passwords for SCRAM authentication.)
Date
In response to Re: Fwd: Re: [HACKERS] Running make check-world in buildfarm (was Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use SASLprep to normalize passwords for SCRAMauthentication.)  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>)
Responses Re: Fwd: Re: [HACKERS] Running make check-world in buildfarm (was Re:[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use SASLprep to normalize passwords for SCRAMauthentication.)  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> I think it's partially knowing which target failed, and which
>> regression.diffs to display.  If we were able to revamp check-world so
>> it outputs a list of targets the regression machinery were able to run
>> individually, it'd probably help?

> Yes, I don't want just to run check-world.

Yup.  The situation with the TAP tests (bin-check step) is already a
usability fail: when there's a failure, your first problem is to root
through megabytes of poorly-differentiated logs just to figure out
what actually failed.  Treating all of check-world as a single buildfarm
step would be a disaster.

> Instead of just adding targets to check-world, perhaps we need to look
> at what we can do so that the buildfarm client can discover what checks
> it might run and run them, just as we specify test schedules for pg_regress.

+1.  In the meantime, is there any chance of breaking down bin-check into
a separate step per src/bin/ subdirectory?