Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 03:06, scott.marlowe wrote:

> simple.  They GPL'd their connection libs.  So, if you write code that has
> their connection libs in it, it's gotta be GPL'd.
>
> Now, if you don't mind using the ODBC connector, you're scott free.  but
> you WILL be bound by the GPL, and the GPL (not MySQL's interpretation,
> just the GPL in general) being applied to connect libs seriously limits
> your ability to distribute code, since you'd have to GPL your own code if
> you distributed it outside your own private organization.

I am not sure I agree.  There are plenty of ways of circumventing this
issue with the connecting libraries.  For example, if I really wanted to
(and it would be quite feasible for me to do so) I could write a SOAP
server, CORBA component, or just a simple UNIX socket server which I
could use to communicate with a GPL'd program.  This new "server" would
connect using client libraries licensed under the LGPL and released to
the world.  I don't think MySQL would be happy, but I don't really think
that they could do much.  I might even call it OurSQL to piss them off
;-).

Of course, I don't do this because I prefer PostgreSQL anyway.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers