Re: RFC: Very large scale postgres support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: RFC: Very large scale postgres support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> replication. Am I hearing that nobody believes scalability is a
> concern?  I think many of us would like to see features that would
> allow large scale installations to be more practical. I also think most
> of us would agree that the current "graft-on" replication methods are
> sub-ideal.

You really haven't told us which approach to scaling you require. Many
are available and PostgreSQL is really only good at a few of them.

Anyway, current replication is a PITA mostly due to it's inability to
easily start from an empty live database and catch up. You might want to
throw a developer at helping SLONY along if you're feel master/slave is
the right direction, since presumably you will have several slaves.