Re: A cohesive sales message - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: A cohesive sales message
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 06:40, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > There have been people on other disks asking about getting knoppix
> > flavored distros to carry postgresql for their own demonstrations, I
> > think it would be great if someone could put together a distro with
> > postgresql, pgadmin, pgaccess, phppgadmin, and maybe a few other tools,
> > that could boot from a cd to be handed out for demonstration purposes. I
> > won't pretend like it wouldn't be a good sized project to undertake.
>
> Making a CD image wouldn't be all that hard.  I can't quite see a big enough
> market for it yet, though.  People use Knoppix CDs to try out Linux without
> hosing their existing OS installation, but PostgreSQL is much easier to
> install.

Well, if it has aready done the work of initdb and creating an initial
database, i think it would make it signifigantly easier for people to
test. Other bonuses would be that it could pull together some of the
ancillary applications that go along with postgresql, and that windows
users could test it out without having to install another os or cygwin.

Don't you think it would be nice to be able to hand these out to folks
at conventions? (

Robert Treat