Re: why the need for is null? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Baldur Norddahl
Subject Re: why the need for is null?
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>:

> Because in trivalued logic, <anything> = NULL is also NULL. You need a
> special operator to check if something is NULL, hence IS NULL and IS NOT
> NULL. SQL standard says so.
>
> This is a FAQ but I don't see it mentioned there.

Ok, but since this can be quite annoying and unexpected, could we get an
operator that does not use tristate logic but simply compares? Maybe == which
seems to be free :-)

So X==Y is true if X and Y are equal or both are null, false othervise.

Baldur