Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
List pgsql-general
Quoting Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>:

> Keith,
>
> In principal it can, however lets say that I am a complete newbie to
> postgres and I want to use my favourite interface odbc, jdbc, .... etc.
>
> So I download the source tarball and build it, then I goto find my
> interface ... and it isn't there ( in all fairness jdbc is still there
> but that won't be true shortly )
>
> The same is true for most tools; psql being the exception
>
> Now what do I do, I have to hunt around for the tools looking through a
> myriad of projects on gborg, go to the lists etc.

The current README (well the 7.4 one) could do a better job of saying that gborg
is where you should look for links for all things PG.  I wouldn't say that you
have to "hunt" for things though.

> Admittedly this deterrent won't stop a determined newbie from finding
> what they are after, but I'm sure there are some folk who would just
> assume that postgres is deficient in this area. Note some previous posts
> from others which demonstrates my point.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-12/msg01358.php
>
> This gentleman finally found pgadmin III which solved his problem. But
> I'm sure he had to look for it.

Short of the README file with the source release and reorganizing the web site.
 I don't see what else could be done.  I sincerely hope we're not going the path
of MS and trying to make things "idiot proof".  PostgreSQL is robust complex
product and at a certain point I would think the powers that be would have to
say enough is enough as it relates to trying to make things easy.

On a side note though, I did try to search of "php interface" (something I know
nothing about as it relates to PG) from the search link on the main website and
I had to cancel it because it never returned anything after several minutes.
That definitely would be frustrating to a new/prospective user.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: