Re: windows distribution - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: windows distribution
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
> > On Monday 22 December 2003 08:16 am, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not familiar with the cygwin environment but is there something
> about
> > > that is turning off users to using it to run PG?
> > >
> > > It seems to me we should be seeing *more* ports about how PG is
> performing
> > > on cygwin instead of questions about a native port- especially from new
> > > users.
> >
> > The problem is not so much Cygwin as the platform it runs on. It is Unix
> > emulation on Windows and therefore is only as stable as the version of
> > Windows you are using. I have run Postgres using Cygwin on various Win9x
> > versions. The Cygwin installer makes the process easy to do. The problem is
>
> > that it doesn't take much to load down the system. Also, given the
> frequency
> > with which Win9X versions crash you spend alot of time waiting for the
> > database to come up again. All in all it was more productive to move
> Postgres
> > to a dedicated Linux server.
>
> But please note that if one had a reliable winxp/2k class box that would
> probably be much more reliable.  But it would still be much slower than
> linux on the same hardware.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Personally, I think the only real reason to port PG to windows **is** for
marketing/advocacy reason.  I don't use windows for anything major in my
company- just the accounting box *grin* (actually, that IS pretty major so I
guess I'm a liar  *laff*).

The thing I was trying to get at (since as someone pointed out this question
about a windows port comes up about 3 times a month) is whether people are using
cygwin to run and then asking for a port or are people simply asking for a port.

We all know how much people hate to read but Russell hit it on the head.
Speaking strickly from an ad & m (advocacy and marketing) point of view we
should probably have something on the main web site and on the FTP mirrors that
point people over to the relevant documentation. Some user comments might be in
order too.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications