Re: general peformance question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: general peformance question
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 12:04, Conny Thimren wrote:
> Hi,
> This a kind of newbie-question. I've been using Postgres for a long time in a low transction environment - and it is
great.

> Now I've got an inquiry for using Postgresql in a heavy-load on-line system. This system must handle something like
20questions per sec with a response time at 1/10 sec. Each question will result in approx 5-6 reads and a couple of
updates.
> Anybody have a feeling if this is realistic on a Intelbased Linux server with Postgresql. Ofcourse I know that this
istoo little info for an exact answer but - as I said - maybe someone can give a hint if it's possible. Maybe someone
withheavy-load can give an example of what is possible...

Ok, is that 20 questions per second (20 in parallel taking 1 second
each) or serialized taking 50ms each.

Are they simple selects / updates (less than 10 rows in result set, very
simple joins) or are they monster 30 table join queries?