Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 21:40, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Imagine if Linus or the Linux kernel guys tried to standardize Linux
> training --- it would be a mess.

Exactly, but that is what community is for :-)

> Also, though lots of people want training, seems that want _free_
> training.  They aren't flooding my Atlanta classes, that's for sure.  I
> give classes at many conferences around the world too, and I get usually
> 20-40 people --- not exactly a flood either.  Maybe they want me to come
> to their house?  :-)  Tell me what your wife is cooking for dinner
> before I decide.  :-)

I guess I see this from a different angle.

The problem is not only because people only want free training, but
because the PostgreSQL community by and large has a very small novice
component.  Most people who turn to PostgreSQL understand what it is
they are looking for and have experience with other relational database
systems.  As a result these people (myself included) can easily pick up
the manual and run with it.

Compared to that of MySQL, our community is sparse, widely disperse, and
MUCH more experienced/professional.  This puts a damper on the training
unless we can create a larger interest in the database among novices.
This is partly what the job of the advocacy community is.  But really it
crosses all boundaries.

I am wondering if you are interested in helping with some sort of skills
outline project-- what skills we as a community think are important for
someone to claim basic mastery over the database manager.  Not as if you
don't have enough to do already ;-)  Maybe at least as a mentor.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers