Re: OO database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: OO database?
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 01:51, Socketd wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I can see Postgresql calls itself a "object-relational database
> management system", but what's the object part of it?
>
> I have found:
> Schemas (something like C++ namespaces?)
> Inheritance
>
> Are there more OO features in postgresql?

User defined types allow you to store information in ways that are
uniformly accessible by clients.

Domains (not strictly OR) allow you to create a type that is a subset of
another type.

User defined functions and operators could be used to create something
more like a object/method system.

> Can you still setup postgresql to act as a pure relational db? So you
> can use standard sql. (maybe even on db level)

Absolutely.