Re: automatic sequence number? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: automatic sequence number?
List pgsql-jdbc
Getting the generated keys out of a postgres database is not trivial,
the SERIAL type is really a manufactured type which uses a trigger, and
sequences to do it's work.

Rod's suggestion of doing an insert and retrieving the current value of
the sequence is really the fastest way to get it out. Curval does the
right thing ie it will get the value for this connection even if another
connection has incremented it before you retrieve it.

Dave