Re: Ignoring index on (A is null), (A is not null) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Franco Bruno Borghesi
Subject Re: Ignoring index on (A is null), (A is not null)
Date
List pgsql-performance
try this:
EXPLAIN [ANALYZE] SELECT a FROM table1 WHERE a IS NULL OR a>2;
SET enable_seqscan TO off;
EXPLAIN [ANALYZE] SELECT a FROM table1 WHERE a IS NULL OR a>2;

and compare the costs and times of both executions. This will tell you why postgresql is not using an index.

For example, if you have 1000 rows in your table, they will fit in only one page of the table, so postgresql will (correctly) think that fetching and procesing this only page will be faster than fetching the index page, procesing it, and fetching and procesing the table page.
Or perhaps there are so many rows that match your condition, that postgresql realizes that using and index or not it will still have to visit almost every page in the table.

Many things can cause postgresql to think that a seqscan is better than an indexscan, If after comparing the EXPLAINs you see that postgresql is wrong, you should tweak your postgresql.conf (for example the cpu_index_tuple_cost value).

hope it helps.