Transaction Queries!!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vatsal
Subject Transaction Queries!!!
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We are using postgresql as the underlying RDBMS for one of our
application.
When in a transaction if we execute an query that causes database to
return
a failure. The whole transaction gets roll backed.

Below are 2 examples
which illustrate this problem. We want the rollback to be in control of
the user. And that is why as i understand we have the postgresql rollback
command.

Examples of implicit rollback:
1>
cpdb=# begin;
BEGIN
cpdb=# insert into abc ('80219');
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'"
cpdb=# insert into abc values ('80219');
NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of
transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
cpdb=#

2>
cpdb=# begin;
BEGIN
cpdb=# insert into abc values ('-1');
ERROR:  ExecAppend: rejected due to CHECK constraint abc_i
cpdb=# insert into abc values ('1');
NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of
transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
cpdb=#

A another problem is of executing update query thru ODBC API's. When we
run  update query thru executeQuery() API, even though the update query may
not  go thru as some column condition may not have met or the where clause
may have been wrong. In such case also the API returns success.

When the query is executed thru psql prompt it says zero rows updated.
Has this problem got to do with postgresql or ODBC API?

kindly help!!!

TIA

regards
vatsal

'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individualor entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any use, copying
whatsoever is strictly prohibited.