Re: Procedure for adding a column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Procedure for adding a column
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 11:05, David Shadovitz wrote:
> I need to add a column to a table.  This table holds several thousand
> records, has several indexes, and serves as the parent table to a few
> child tables.
>
> When I've done this in the past, it has taken quite a long time for
> the ALTER TABLE command to complete.
>
> So, what is the correct procedure for adding a column?  Drop the
> indexes, add the column, and recreate the indexes?

Can you be more explicit about "quite a long time".

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called demoratic
nations and however serious may be their failure to conform
perfectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral
perversity to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic
civilization with the brutalities which modern tyrannical states
practice."
Reinhold Nieburhr, ca. 1940