Re: int1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: int1?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 03:19, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > Is there any date type that can be used for 0-255
> > values? Like an "int1" or byte column.
>
> A SMALLINT is two bytes on disk, use "char" instead.  This is a hidden
> goodie in PostgreSQL and one that I wish was exposed via a more
> conventional syntax (*hint hint*).
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/datatype-character.html#DATATYPE-CHARACTER-SPECIAL-TABLE

Wouldn't that be, though, a signed byte?  The OP wants unsigned.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition or
give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and break
things".
Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.