Re: 7.4 Features - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: 7.4 Features
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 02:43, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was thinking about:
> >
> > IPv6
> > Subselects that use indexes (hash joins)
> > libpq thread safety
> > regular expression enhancements
> > Indexes no longer growing.
>
> - Hash tables for IN queries improving performance by an order for such queries
> - ECG thread safety
>
> Bruce mentioned ecpg. IMO unless ECG scales up to Pro*C in Oracle, postgresql
> will have a sore spot. I hope with new FE/B protocol and additional
> enhancements, it would be there by 7.5.
>
> Can I mention pg_autovacuum here?..:-)

Yes, you can :-)  pg_autovacuum and better index space management should
be big improvements from a maintenance standpoint.

I think it's also worth mentioning the the new SQL Schema and SQL Error
Code support, both enhancing our standards compliance.

Robert Treat