Re: 7.4 Features - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: 7.4 Features
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua wrote:
> Which features do we want to advertise as being the most "cool" in 7.4

>for an
>O'Reilly article?

Domain improvements, especially check constraints.  Domains are now
usable in 7.4 and very powerful (and cool).
The donated replication is certainly newsworthy, although I've never
used it and don't know anything about it.
I agree with the others: the performance enhancements are not really
features (i.e. noteworthy, not newsworthy).

I don't have the feature list in front of me, but in order of importance
I think the technical press would like to see:
1. 'Enterprise level features' (replication, etc.)
2. Administrative ease of use benefits (index growth, vacuum
improvements, and stuff like that)
3. Data integrity/definition features (domains, RI, better SQL support,
etc.)
4. Highly anticipated win32 port.
5. Performance.

Congrats on your article, hope it turns out well.

Merlin