Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: reindex/vacuum locking/performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 17:47, Rob Nagler wrote:
> They don't deadlock normally,
> only with reindex and vacuum did I see this behavior.

If you can provide a reproducible example of a deadlock induced by
REINDEX + VACUUM, that would be interesting.

(FWIW, I remember noticing a potential deadlock in the REINDEX code and
posting to -hackers about it, but I've never seen it occur in a
real-world situation...)

> One other question: The reindex seems to lock the table for the entire
> process as opposed to freeing the lock between index rebuilds.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some room for optimizing the
locks that are acquired by REINDEX.

-Neil