Re: pg_autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: pg_autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 17:21, Adam Kavan wrote:
> I decided to try pg_autovacuum and am having a problem.  It never analyzes
> or vacuums.  I looked at the code and had it display
>
> printf("%s,%s,%s\n",PQgetvalue(res, j, PQfnumber(res,
> "n_tup_ins")),PQgetvalue(res, j, PQfnumber(res,
> "n_tup_upd")),PQgetvalue(res, j, PQfnumber(res, "n_tup_del")));
>
> All of these values are always 0 for all tables irregardless of activity on
> the tables.  Any clue what could be causing this?  In postgresql.conf I have :
>
> # - Query/Index Statistics Collector -
>
> stats_start_collector = true
> #stats_command_string = true
> #stats_block_level = true
> stats_row_level = true
> stats_reset_on_server_start = false
>
> which is fine if I am correct.  Am I missing something?  I am using
> 7.4beta2 but the same problem occurred yesterday with 7.4beta1.

All of this appears to be in order.  I think we need some more
information.  First, what options are you setting?  What is the exact
command you are using to launch pg_autovaccum.  Some output from
pg_autovacuum with debug level set to 2 would be helpful.  Also, what OS
/ compiler are you using?

BTW: are you sure that you have performed enough inserts / updates /
deletes to exceed the thresholds? (debug level 2 will tell you what the
thresholds are.

Matthew