Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 12:13, Vivek Khera wrote:
> There's a big difference between "noticing that a table needs to be
> vacuumed and running it" and "automatically having the backend free a
> row as soon as we know it is eligible to be (as would normally be
> determined by vacuum)".

<talking beyond my real knowledge>
Changing Postgres to perform as mentioned above is non-trivial, it would
basicially change the entire core of the system.  I think this is due to
the fact that postgres uses a non-overwriting storage manager.  This has
many benefits including MVCC, the primary disadvantage is that you need
a vacuum type process
</talking beyond my real knowledge>

> One of these days when I can afford a 14-hour dump/restore, I'll
> upgrade to 7.4 and try autovacuum :-)

pg_autovacuum does with with 7.3.x, but the source is only included in
7.4.  Just get the pg_autovacuum directory from contrib and use it.

Matthew