Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 07:32, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Hi ...
>
> I'm trying to convince my boss to use posgresql (I need RI, transactions
> and views), but he keeps comparing the project to mysql. Until now, I
> found the answers to he's questions on the www.postgresql.org page, but
> now I'm lost :-)
>
> Where do I find a list of bugs both found and solved, or will I need to
> ask on the pgsql-bugs list to know the answer ?

search the bugs forum. for a list of bugs/missing features, the TODO
list is your best bet.

> Also have anyone tryed to compare the new transaction model in MySQL 4.x
> to PostgreSQL ?

The biggest problem I see with the mysql transactional model is that it
violates relational theory, namely the separation of the physical and
logical model, but allowing both myisam and innodb tables to coexist.
I think it was stephen szabo who posted the best example of this which
involves starting a transaction, updating both a myisam table and an
innodb table, then rolling back the transaction. in this case the myisam
table will be updated and the innodb table wont, which means that app
writers can't simple know what information is contained in a table, they
have to know how tables are physically created and stored in order to
work with them, which tends to increase development time.

> I'm looking forward to recive even more constructive arguements :-)

a few links for your perusal:
http://faemalia.org/wiki/view/Technical/PostgreSQLvsMySQL
http://forums.devshed.com/archive/46/2002/10/3/35171
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=1