Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Cain
Subject Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings
List pgsql-performance
Agreed.  When I actually Did It Right (tm), EXTERNAL storage gave
similar (probably better) performance as my shredding method, without
all the hoops to breakup and reassemble the string.

Scott

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 14:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> > Doesn't look that unrealistic to me. A plain text based substring
> > function will reassemble the whole beast first before cutting out the
> > wanted part. His manually chunked version will read only those chunks
> > needed.
>
> So does substr(), if applied to EXTERNAL (non-compressed) toasted text.
> See John Gray's improvements a release or two back.
>
>             regards, tom lane
Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                         cain@cshl.org
GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory