Knowing how many records I just inserted - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Knowing how many records I just inserted
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi.

v7.3.3

INSERT INTO T_LANE_TX
SELECT  LANE_TX_ID,
        TX_EXTERN_REF_NO,
[snip]
        UPDATE_TS,
        substring(ACK_DATE from 1 for 8)::date,
        FILENAME_ID
FROM T_LANE_TX2
;
INSERT 0 1241897

Ok, I can see that 1,241,897 rows were inserted into T_LANE_TX.
How can I get that back out to bash, if I'm doing psql scripting?
An env. variable wouldn't work, since it would go away when psql
terminates.

TIA
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |