Re: Table Stats - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Table Stats
Date
Re: Table Stats  (Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 23:23, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> It will only be at a given point in time, since datasbases are by
> design, realtime/concurrent applications.
>
> do:
>
> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table_name;
>
> Should give you what you want.

It'll give him what he wants, but not quickly, if it's a 10/20/etc
M row table.

One hack is:
CREATE TABLE T_CARDINALITY (
RELATION_NAME    CHAR(31) PRIMARY KEY,
CARDINALITY      BIGINT );

Then put ON INSERT/ON DELETE triggers on each table you want to
track that increment/decrement T_CARDINALITY.CARDINALITY at the
appropriate moment.

> Jeff Davidson wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is there any quick way to determine how many rows exist in a given table?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |