Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Cain
Subject Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings
List pgsql-performance
So it is possible that if I had a fast scsi drive, the performance might
be better?

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 16:31, Joe Conway wrote:
> Scott Cain wrote:
> >  Index Scan using feature_pkey on feature  (cost=0.00..3.01 rows=1
> > width=153) (actual time=954.13..954.14 rows=1 loops=1)
> >    Index Cond: (feature_id = 1)
> >  Total runtime: 954.26 msec
> > (3 rows)
> >
> > Whoa!  That's not what I expected, the time to do the query got more
> > that twice as long.  So I think, maybe it was just an unlucky section,
> > and overall performance will be much better.  So I write a perl script
> > to do substring queries over all of my chromosomes at various positions
> > and lengths (20,000 queries total).  For comparison, I also ran the same
> > script, extracting the chromosomes via sql and doing the substring in
> > perl.  Here's what happened:
>
> Hmmm, what happens if you compare with a shorter substring, e.g.:
>
> explain analyze select substring(residues from 1000000 for 2000)
> from feature where feature_id=1;
>
> I'm just guessing, but it might be that the extra I/O time to read 20K
> of uncompressed text versus the smaller compressed text is enough to
> swamp the time saved from not needing to uncompress.
>
> Any other ideas out there?
>
> Joe
Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                         cain@cshl.org
GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087