Re: slow table updates - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Reece Hart
Subject Re: slow table updates
Date
List pgsql-performance
Richard-

Thanks for the suggestions. I too had thought about the FK checks, even though the columns aren't getting updated.

I'm flabbergasted that the update is still running (~22 hours elapsed). By comparison, the database takes only 4 hours to recreate from backup! Something funny is happening here. I just interrupted the update and will find another way.

But hang on, what's this:
  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
30164 compbio   25   0  6056 6056  3568 R    98.8  0.1  29:55 postgres: admin csb [local] COPY

I am the only user and I'm not doing a copy... this must be part of the update process. Does anyone out there know whether updates do a table copy instead of in-table udpating (perhaps as a special case for whole-table updates)?

Of course, I can't help but wonder whether I just killed it when it was nearly done...

Thanks,
Reece

--
Reece Hart, Ph.D.                       rkh@gene.com, http://www.gene.com/
Genentech, Inc.                         650/225-6133 (voice), -5389 (fax)