Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 01:27, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > We have less than two weeks to feature freeze.  Win32 is still in an
> > uncompleted state, and I haven't been able to return to it recently.
> > Jan is working on getting exec() working, and hopefully someone can help
> > me on signals.  If I get those two done, I think I can tweek Win32 in
> > minor ways during beta.
> >
> > I talked to Patrick about PITR, and with JR now back involved, he might
> > get it done.
> >
> > Basically, we might get them both in, or it might be a disaster that we
> > delayed beta for one month.
>
> What about the nested transaction stuff?
>
> Do we have any "killer" features added to 7.4 that we can shout about?
> There's usually been one or two in the past...?

A quick glance at the TODO list shows a number of speed improvements in
specific areas (IN, GROUP BY, Subselects in views), ARRAY improvements,
some utility command improvements / additions, and a significant
protocol update.

The protocol update may not be flashy, but it is a large step forward in
presenting a clean experience for developers using PostgreSQL (reduces
chance of rare, unexpected, and difficult to find logic errors).

If nothing else, it makes for an excellent cleanup release that rounds
off some of the sharp corners (tab completion for schema elements in
psql, schema dump in psql, fixed cluster support, transactional
truncate, alter sequence, new regex code for fast MultiByte, etc).

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc