Re: PGSQL vs. SQL Server questions - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Nabil Sayegh
Subject Re: PGSQL vs. SQL Server questions
Date
List pgsql-novice
Am Die, 2003-06-10 um 09.07 schrieb Lee Matthews:

> Is there a tool like SQL Query Analyser that will allow me to run my
> existing SQL statements a PGSQL database?

I don't really understand this question.

If you mean a command line tool where you can enter your queries and
play around:

yes: psql

If you mean something that analyzes your queries and optimizes it:

yes: VACUUM ANALYZE and EXPLAIN

> Can you setup database views in PGSQL?

yes
You can also create functions and triggers if you want to insert into
the views.

> Are the main SQL Server datatypes matched in PGSQL (ie. varchar,
> decimal, int, datetime)?

AFAIK yes
There's also a type: text
With 'text' you don't have to care about size at all.

> Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

HTH
--
 e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
 Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539