Re: Feature Suggestion/Index tuning wizard that - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Feature Suggestion/Index tuning wizard that
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 12:47, Brian Maguire wrote:
> I don't think that this has been up for discussion yet but I think it
> would be good concept/feature that someone might want to take up or
> shoot down.  However some may have already. I am not sure where it falls
> PGAdmin, psql, optimizer, gborg... all.
>

> Recommended Feature: Index Tuning Wizard

> which indexes to create in a table and also optionally generates scripts
> to create them by analyzing a user-supplied workload. Various modes are
> offered for tuning both indexes and indexed views.
>
> Rational:  Why this would be a killer feature... because it can save
> time and improve the performance of the database based real data.

Instead of an Index Tuning Wizard, instrumentation that would
allow the collection of SQL statements, frequencies, IO counts
and CPU usage.

The data collected from such collections could then be analysed
and used as the DBA balances the number of indexes versus number
of inserts/updates/deletes, and the time of day when the query
occurs.

Yes, such instrumentation would be needed for the Tuning Wizard
itself, but a human can usually spot nuances better than a program
can.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |