Re: Linux 2.6 kernel, tuned for use with databases - - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Linux 2.6 kernel, tuned for use with databases -
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 08:21, Martin_Hurst@dom.com wrote:
> I was reading the following Information Week article:
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10100565&pgno=2

> Linux is likely to make inroads in the enterprise with the release later
> this year of the 2.6 kernel, tuned for use with databases, Witham says.
> Changes to the Linux 2.6 kernel will let programs access more data with
> greater reliability and run heavier processing loads. It will improve the
> performance of databases on eight- and 16-way symmetric multiprocessor
> servers, include new file systems that provide faster access to data with
> greater reliability, and make it easier to manage and configure storage on
> large arrays.
>
> Are there plans to have Postgresql take advantage of the new Linux 2.6
> kernel?

Since PostgreSQL is a Unix RDBMS, not a Linux DBMS, and already
uses multiple CPUs if possible, does it really matter how Linux
changes?

Shouldn't PG automatically take advantage of new features, maybe
after a backup/restore to new disk drives/filesystems?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |