7.2 -> 7.3 timespan, interval etc. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Nabil Sayegh
Subject 7.2 -> 7.3 timespan, interval etc.
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi all,

I want to switch one of our servers to 7.3.

Some of our projects (7.2) use timespan() which for example evaluates:

SELECT timespan('5 seconds');
 interval
----------
 @ 5 secs

In 7.3 there's only interval

SELECT '5 seconds'::interval;
 interval
----------
 00:00:05

I _think_ I never used the output of timespan as a result itself, but
rather to calculate some things.
However, maybe I did (couldn't check all the projects by now).

What then ?

- Can I have the old behaviour back ?

- Is it possible to have the timespan function back, so that I dont have
to replace all occurences of timespan to interval ?

- Can I have the output of timespan in the same format as before ? (I
like the new one better, but for compatibility reasons, there could be a
case where it would be much handier with the old format)

- Why was it taken away ? Did it 'hurt' ?

- What else was taken out ?

P.S.: I just read about CREATE DOMAIN ... AS ...
Is that what I want ?
Can I tell it to have the same output as before ?

TIA
--
 e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
 Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539