Re: SQL99 CREATE TABLE ... (LIKE parent_table) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: SQL99 CREATE TABLE ... (LIKE parent_table)
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 10:15, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Rod Taylor kirjutas T, 13.05.2003 kell 15:40:
> > On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 05:08, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > > Tom Lane kirjutas E, 12.05.2003 kell 17:59:

> > > Are you sure that LIKE is not _supposed_ to be inheritable. I mean that
> > > changes done to the LIKE table should carry over to the table defined
> > > using LIKE:
> >
> > > create table template( i int);
> > > create table instance(like template, t text);
> > > alter table template add column j int;
> > >
> > > and now instance should have columns i,j,t .
> >
> > It is described as being replaced by the column definitions within the
> > new table, with no mention of connection to the parent table..
> >
> > 11.3, 6, d) "The <like clause> is effectively replaced by NCi, 1 (one)
> > <= i <= cnt"
>
> Is this different from UNDER, i.e does it's definition mention
> connection with parent table ?

UNDER doesn't have a statement resembling the above and does mention the
concept of a base table, which is described as having a connection with
it's subtables (children).

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc