Re: Application Development with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Application Development with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 18:36, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > In VPNs favor, it can be made much more secure than SSL can ever be.
>
> Really?  Why is that?  VPN seems *less* safe to me, because by default
> it opens up all ports to pass through the tunnel.  With SSL you know
> exactly what ports will be forwarded.

My company gave me an RSA SecurID token (the size of a small pager),
that generates a new six digit random number every 60 seconds.  When
I want to connect to the corporate VPN server, I type in my PIN number
and the SecurID token.

The VPN client software then says
  Security     ESP - Triple DES, SHA
  IKE          Diffie-Hellman Group I

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |