Re: why restoring a dump file is sooo slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reynard Hilman
Subject Re: why restoring a dump file is sooo slow
Date
List pgsql-general
> You don't mention what flavor of Postgresql this is.  The latest version
> would probably help a bit.  Also, things like FK constraints can cause
> slow load times.  But 87 megs in an hour and a half is REALLY slow.  for
> comparison, I can dump our 1 gig (post dump) database from one Dual PIII
> to another dual PIII in 10 minutes.  i.e.:
>
> 'pg_dump -h otherbox dbname| psql dbname'
>
> But that's running 7.3.x.  It took about 30 to 40 minutes on 7.2 but my
> memory of that time period is fading fast.

I'm using 7.3.x. The tables don't have any trigger.
I guess the only problem was the -D option that I used. I tried again
without that, and it only took a couple of minutes. I'm surprised
though, how much difference that makes.
thanks for all the help

- reynard