Re: plpgsql Question.. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: plpgsql Question..
Date
Re: plpgsql Question..  (Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah@trade-india.com>)
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 08:12, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> is it possible to access a feild in a RECORD type
> variable where the feild name is variable.
>
> eg say r is a record having feild name , email , salary
>
> r.name is 'foo'
> r.email is 'bar@foo.com'
> r.salary is 1000
>
> suppose  feild_name iterates via a FOR LOOP
> through values (name , email , salary)
>
> is it possible to access that feild in record r
> inside the loop ?

Not that I'm aware of.  What you can do it build the query to SELECT
<variable> FROM table.

Another alternative is to switch languages. A perl, tcl, etc. based
function would be capable of doing what you want.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc