Re: why restoring a dump file is sooo slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: why restoring a dump file is sooo slow
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 07:05, Mike Mascari wrote:
> Reynard Hilman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to restore a dump file that I created using:
> > pg_dump -CD dbname > dump.sql
> >
> > the dump file size is about 87 Mb.
> >
> > so I did this to restore:
> > psql -f dump.sql -U user template1
> >
> > It takes almost an hour and a half to restore the database.
>
> This there a reason you are using the 'D' option to dump the database
> as INSERTs? A dump which uses COPY (the default) instead will reload
> much more quickly.

Also, are there triggers on the tables?  There's a pg_dump
option to ensure that they don't get activated during restore.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |