Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 17:20, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 13:23, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:
> > > I have a system that will store about 2TB+ of images per year in a PG
> > > database. Linux unfortunatly has the 16TB limit for 32bit systems. Not
> > > really sure what should be done here. Would life better to not store the
> > > images as BLOBS, and instead come up with some complicated way to only
> > > store the location in the database, or is there someway to have postgres
> > > handle this somehow? What are other people out there doing about this
> > > sort of thing?
> >
> > Now that the hard disk and file system issues have been hashed around,
> > have you thought about how you are going to back up this much data?
>
> Legato had shown a couple years ago already that Networker can backup
> more than a Terabyte per hour. They used an RS6000 with over 100 disks
> and 36 DLT 7000 drives on 16 controllers if I recall correctly ... not
> your average backup solution but it's possible. But I doubt one can
> configure something like this with x86 hardware.

And we're running something similar, though not quite as extravagant,
on an AlphaServer GS320.  SuperDLT 320 is *really* fast...  (But you
gotta keep them fed, and that's where x86 might choke.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |