Re: [SQL] rewriting values with before trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [SQL] rewriting values with before trigger
Date
Re: [SQL] rewriting values with before trigger  ("Matthew Nuzum" <cobalt@bearfruit.org>)
Re: [SQL] rewriting values with before trigger  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: [SQL] rewriting values with before trigger  (elein <elein@sbcglobal.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 15:35, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> Well,
>     does ''::INT do anything valuable?

    not in 7.3+, and given my original problem involves timestamps, not in
7.2 either.

>     change column to a string, convert to INTS on the way out, STRINGS on the way in?
>     use an external language to make transitions.

yeah, I've thought of some other crazy ways to get around this, but the
problem is due to a bug in the application side. I was hoping I could
write a quick hack (like adding a rule/trigger) to get around this until
the app was fixed, but I'm not going to make my side a kludge when it
isn't one now.

Robert Treat