Re: INSERT INTO ... SELECT (PostgreSQL vs. MySQL) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: INSERT INTO ... SELECT (PostgreSQL vs. MySQL)
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Can anyone shed light on whether the above statement (especially
> the bit about "standard SQL") is correct? I can't get my head
> around MySQL being more standards compliant than Postgres here...

MySQL would have a tough time determining whether the tuple at the end
of the table was a result of the current insert or not (possibly making
a loop). PostgreSQL and most other major databases are perfectly capable
of such acts, so they have extended the spec for obvious reasons -- it's
a silly limitation to put in place for capable databases.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc