Re: restore a dump file (with postgis tables): errors!! - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: restore a dump file (with postgis tables): errors!!
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 04:56, Pedro Salazar wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a pgsql 7.3 database where I created postgis tables and my schema
> with my object model database. I want to dump my database and restore it
> in another machine with pgsql (also 7.3.2).
>
> what I did:
>
> 1- pg_dump -U postgres locawadb | gzip > locawa1.dmp.gz
>
> 2- createdb -U postgres locawadb
>    (create users in database)
>    gunzip -c locawa1.dmp.gz | psql -U postgres locawadb
>
> But I got a few errors on the 2 step.
>
> With -a option (echo) in psql I noticed that some errors where about:
>
> - the user owner from my schema could not create a schema (well I
> supposed that this operation should be done through super user
> postgres);
> - that functions like srid() and others did not exist!? (shouldn't
> postgres warrant the order of dependences?);
> - that some user tables from my schema with geom data types failed to
> restore;
> - and a few class errors (?) and invalid namespace of my schema!!

I'm wondering if your second database has postgis properly set up? I'm
not familiar with it, but it sounds like the postgis support isn't
meshing.

> My question is: are my procedures of dump and restore database well
> done?  (I already saw that exist a pg_restore command line, ...is it
> equal to the psql command line or it's better?)

It's better in some cases worse in others. Probably worth a try. You
might also try and dump only your schema and restore that to make sure
that the schema is being transferred correctly before you worry about
the data.

Robert Treat