Re: psql \d+ and oid display - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql \d+ and oid display
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Are you saying most people like "Has OIDs: yes", or the idea of just
> displaying _a_ line if there are OIDs?  Based on default_with_oids,
> perhaps we should display "With OIDs".

> I agree it is no unanimous.  I am curious how large the majority has to
> be to change a psql display value.

What I actually suggested was not *changing* the line when it's to be
displayed, but suppressing it in the now-standard case where there's no
OIDs.

Personally I find the argument that backwards compatibility must be
preserved to be pretty bogus; we have no hesitation in changing the
output of \d anytime we add a new feature.  So I don't think there's
a good compatibility reason why the line has to be spelled exactly
"Has OIDs: yes" --- but there is a consistency reason, which is that
everything else we print in this part of the \d output is of the form
"label: info".