Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel R. Anderson
Subject Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of
Date
Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of  (Joel Rodrigues <joelrodrigues@Phreaker.net>)
List pgsql-general
I agree that bz2 might very well speed up download over a dialup line.
I was, however, pointing out that one of the arguments as to why
downloads should be available in bz2 format -- to minimize required disk
space -- was specious.

<snip>
> I think the real argument in favor of providing a bz2 alternative to gz
> *is* the time to download. Loading a Postgres tarball over a dialup line
> is much faster with bz2 rather than gz.
<snip>
--
Daniel R. Anderson
Great Lakes Industries, Inc.

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education"
    -- Mark Twain