Re: [pgsql-advocacy] uppercase = lowercase - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] uppercase = lowercase
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 13:29, Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 13:21, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Rod Taylor wrote:

> site that's
> of
> > >
> > > Step 1: Put all of the websites into CVS
> >
> > Ewww Yuk!
> >
> > Websites in CVS?  That's a horrible thought.  Sure, it's better than
> the
> > present "people with accounts on the server can upload" mostly-manual
> > approach, but it's not as good as Zwiki will do.
>
> > Zwiki allows for good web based editing, it lets people be added to
> > groups and have group permissions set, etc.  It's very nifty.
>
> Great.. How about advocacy? the portal? etc.  Maybe all we have is code,
> config files, and style sheets.
>
> Still, whatever tools you pick, configure, or change make it public
> (where copyright allows).
>
> Simple things like idocs.php or the jobs.php code could be improved upon
> (code always can be), yet if I have an idea that may only take an hour
> to implement it's near to impossible to find the sources -- so I've not
> bothered.
>
> I'd be willing to bet there are a large number of people willing
> (wanting) to do 10 minutes work here and there on the websites that
> don't because it takes longer than that to find the materials.

I agree with this 100%.  Heck, I have access to the code and I still
find it a pain to do anything since we don't have a cvs interface to it.
I'm planning on focusing on www first. Most of it is brochureware
oriented site, with non collaborative content, and non content oriented
development needed ; the types of site that should be done in CVS. (BTW
I had hoped to finish it up last night, but the current postgresql.org
outage has stopped me in my tracks)

Techdocs is a different beast, it's all about collaborative content
development, and as such the zwiki framework should work well for it.

Robert Treat