Re: OIDs as keys - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: OIDs as keys
Date
Re: OIDs as keys
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 02:30, Tom Lane wrote:
> It's moving in the wrong direction.  We've been slowly eliminating
> unnecessary nonstandardisms in pg_dump output; this puts in a new one
> in a quite fundamental place.  You could perhaps expect another DB
> to drop commands it didn't understand like SET SEARCH_PATH ... but if
> it drops all your CREATE TABLEs, you ain't got much dump left to load.

Rather than specifying the use of OIDs by WITH OIDS clauses for each
CREATE TABLE in a dump, couldn't we do it by adding a SET command that
toggles the 'use_oids' GUC option prior to every CREATE TABLE? That way,
a user concerned with portability could fairly easily strip out (or just
ignore) the SET commands.

Cheers,

Neil