Re: uppercase = lowercase - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: uppercase = lowercase
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 02:51, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > We get this question a lot, usually from folks converting from mysql.
> > Do any of the core folks think this is worth adding to contrib? Or
> > perhaps a project on gborg would be more appropriate?
>
> In the long run, the correct SQL-spec-compliant solution is selectable
> collation for each column, and then you could specify a case-insensitive
> collation for the columns you want to act this way.  But I don't really
> foresee that happening in the near future :-(.  In the meantime, a
> specialized datatype seems like an okay hack.
>
> I'd not favor putting it into the core distribution, because that would
> amount to a commitment to support it indefinitely, which I don't want
> to make.  contrib would be iffy for the same reason --- contrib tends
> to have a subtext of "this might be mainstream someday, if it gets
> polished up".  gborg, no problem.
>
> But that's just my $0.02.  Comments anyone?

I tend to agree with this. Perhaps what we need is some type of
meta-howto on converting from mysql to postgresql, which would list
specific places to find articles, custom data types, custom functions,
or code examples that folks might want if they are converting from
mysql. This should probably also be done for other databases as well.
This would give another option to the current debate on supporting
informix syntax on hackers right now, put the patch in a gborg project,
and list it as a resource in an informix meta-howto. Obviously this
could be done for oracle and others.. I know the information is out
there, but it's scattered, and given the number of times we see some of
these questions, needs to be easier to find.

Robert Treat