Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 11:39, Peter Childs wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
>
> > > ignorant on the exact device details.  You wouldn't happen to have the
> > > skinny of those things would ya?  They still being made?
> >
> > I wish, especially if they are the same price as regular IDE disks and the
> > Linux kernel supports them!
> >
> > > Your comments really serve to enforce that IDE stinks and stresses that
> > > IDE should not be used where serious database performance is needed.
> > > Needless to say, I think we all already understood that.  ;)
> >
> > Even more so, it shows the difference between server-clas computer
> > components and consumer-class computer components.  It's sometimes wearing
> > on the mind to get the finance guy at my company to understand why a
> > server with the same "specs" (using the term loosely) as a desktop machine
> > costs thousands more.  After long discussions extolling the virtues of ECC
> > RAM, redundant hot-swappable power supplies, SCSI hard disks, RAID-1, and
> > cooling requirements, I can sometimes convince him that there is a real
> > reason for the price difference.
> >

>     So what about Serial ATA that new standard, does that improve
> things when it finally come into use?
>
> Peter Childs

Peter,

While I have read that many expect serial ATA to seriously challenge
SCSI I honestly have no idea where the rhetoric stops and reality
begins.  I'd hazard a guess we'll really not know the whole truth until
samples become widely available from multiple sources including drives,
drivers, and host interfaces.

Regards,

--
Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net>