Re: implement query_start for pg_stat_activity - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: implement query_start for pg_stat_activity
Date
Re: implement query_start for pg_stat_activity  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 01:04, Tom Lane wrote:
> NAMEDATALEN=32 will have been history for two releases when this gets
> out.  I don't agree with artificially constricting a function name to
> conform to an obsolete restriction --- and for *sure* I don't agree with
> renaming an existing function to make it line up with a new, artificial
> name ...

Fair enough.

> > (2) I wasn't sure how to convert a struct timeval into a PostgreSQL
> > timestamp type, so I hacked something together involving ctime() and
> > timestamp_in(), but it seems clearly wrong.
>
> GetCurrentAbsoluteTimeUsec() followed by now() seem to do it at the
> moment ...

Can you elaborate a bit? Since now() returns the time the current txn
started, that doesn't seem to be what I'd need -- and isn't
GetCurrentAbsoluteTimeUsec() essentially just an (ugly) wrapper over
gettimeofday()?

I think a similar function to timeofday() that returns a timestamp would
probably be ideal... (which reminds me, we should probably think about
how to replace timeofday() with something that doesn't return a string).

> Care to offer a proposal for simplifying this code?

To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start -- I don't really know much
about the intricacies of datetime manipulation...

Cheers,

Neil