Re: pg_avd - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: pg_avd
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 09:04, Olleg Samoylov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On one hand pg_autovacuum must give opportunity to launch it without sleep
> loop, for instance for launch it at night by cron, then it vacuumed only
> tables which needed it.

pg_autovacuum does not preclude you from doing normal vacuuming from
cron.

> On other, if pg_autovacuum running as daemon, IMHO better launch it from
> postmaster, in the same manner, as launched statistic collector.

The problem is that it's not a backend process, it's a libpq based
client app.  I'm not sure it's a good idea to have the postmaster launch
client external applications, I can't explain why, just seems that way
to me.  Any one else have any thoughts?

> Must pg_autovacuum also check transaction ID (XID) numbers to prevent
> transaction ID wraparound? (PostgreSQL v.7.3.1 docs 8.2.3. Preventing
> transaction ID wraparound failures)

Yes, it must, this is one of the "missing features" that I will complete
if people like the overall pg_autovacuum concept.

> And must it reindex in the same manner as contrib/reindexdb? (PostgreSQL
> v.7.3.1 docs 8.3. Routine Reindexing)

Have never thought of it as a reindexing tool.  I think that is outside
the scope of pg_autovacuum since reindexing is not a simple thing, not
always wanted, and has concurrency issues (I think).