Re: New and investigating - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: New and investigating
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 09:14, Alain Gougeon wrote:

> . Is it really industrial strength? Where can i find articles/white
> papers/etc that document it? (many people in the lists mention MySQL
> and stuff like that, that's another ballgame alltogether)

Hi Alain,

I was the lead architect for the .nz shared registry system which uses
PostgreSQL.  Since the organisation behind this service is a public one,
the process of selection had to be quite public and as a result you can
read various documents of our decisions and prototype findings on the
New Zealand Domain Name Commissioner's website:

The prototype findings document covers some details of our experience
with PostgreSQL for this project, and the Technical Architecture
document which preceded it discusses some reasons why we believed
PostgreSQL to be a good choice.

Look at http://www.dnc.org.nz/index.php?clsid=1&catid=39 for some of our
documents.  Note that these are not focussed particularly on our choice
of PostgreSQL - that was only one of the decisions we were making.

I'm also assisting to put some of our experience into a case study for
PostgreSQL at the moment, however.

Regards,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/